Sunday, December 19, 2010

Slow But Steady

Kwa on left, baking with friends last week.

Day 1: Kwa and I meet at our Tuesday night of dinner and worship. She expresses interest in learning English, and we set up a time to study.  She leaves part way through the worship.

Month 1-3: We  study English weekly, enjoying our time together and deepening the relationship as we go.

Month 4, week 1: Kwa invites me to lunch after studying English.  Afterward she takes me to her apartment to show me around.

Month 4, week 2: Kwa helps a friend translate for a friend at the dorms then hangs around after studying English to bake brownies.

Month 4, week 3: I invite Kwa to a Christmas party at church.  She accepts the invitation!  We enjoy visiting with people, delicious snacks, and singing Christmas songs.  Halfway through the talk on the meaning of Christmas, Kwa says she needs to go.  We say goodbye and confirm our next date for studying English.

While I would have loved for Kwa to stay for the whole Christmas story, I'm not frustrated she left.  I'm actually very excited she came in the first place and stayed for as long as she did.  I know God is working in her life, and I trust he has already started to cause some turbulence in her heart.

Relationships take time.  That is especially true here in Thailand and even more so because we are crossing language and cultural mountain ranges as we walk through the relationship's path, but the outcome of the time invested is well worth it. 

P and I have been friends for two and a half years, a friendship well worth the time invested.

No comments:

Post a Comment