Sunday, December 12, 2010

God's Schedule


"I ran quickly."
"I run quickly."
"I will run quickly."

"I took out the trash." 
"I take out the trash."
"I will take out the trash."

"They borrowed the car."
"They borrow the car."
"They will borrow the car."

English tutoring was going on as usual when Ben walked in. "I'm sorry to interrupt, but can anyone translate for me?  I would like to pray for my friend who is visiting." 

Kwa, the student I was tutoring, just looked at him.  Then he asked her, "Do you speak English and Thai?"
"Yes." She responded.
"Can you translate for me?"
"Okay."

We quickly finished our lesson, and I double checked with Kwa.  "It's okay if you translate?" 
"Yes." She replied.

When we joined Ben and his friend, he explained that he has been studying the Bible.  We chatted for a while using all of our combined English and Thai, and somehow communicating most of what we wanted to say. 

The whole time, Kwa visited, listened, and seemed to enjoy herself.  
That's when I laughed at myself.  So often I want to control situations to keep them comfortable for everyone.  But when I step back and trust God to take care of the situation, I am often surprised.  
Kwa is a Buddhist.  If I had gone with my first instinct, I would have discouraged her joining the conversation as the translator.  But on second thought, I figured it couldn't hurt anything, if she was willing.  

So much of ministry is living life with people, living a life for God and allowing others to observe and be involved.  Some of our students still consider themselves Buddhists, but am encouraged when I see them joining us in worship, prayer, inviting others to hangout, and saying, "I thank God for..."  

Is God working in these students' lives?  Most definitely. 

  
Later that day, Kwa joined us to bake brownies.  That lead N to teaching us how to make butter cake.  Having left over eggs and being hungry for "real food," we made omelets and rice.  Late in the afternoon, Kwa said she had to go home.  A two-hour, tutoring session turned into a day of spending time together, just what I love to do. 



No comments:

Post a Comment