Sunday, May 4, 2014

Let the Coundown Begin

"Next Stop...CHINA"
I've officially begun my countdown to saying goodbye to Thailand (for a season, hopefully not forever.)  The specific calling of helping my team get established in Bangkok while raising up Thai disciples, leaders, and churches has been accomplished.  After almost a year of praying about my next steps, I can see God clearly leading me into a time of serving in China, learning a new culture, and equipping through counseling classes.

With my time in Thailand coming to an end, each moment with friends has become even more precious.  Last weekend I joined the BJD students on their outreach debrief/island trip. We spent time as a dorm family enjoying God's creation, exploring the beach, climbing over rocks, hiking trails, playing card games, and swimming in the clear salty water.

First day at Samed Island
 
After the sun went down we gathered on the beach for a time of worship and reflection about the outreach.  As each student shared, God's work in their heart throughout the outreach was evident.

"It gave me a greater appreciation for what I have.  Sometimes I think I don't have very much, but when I saw how people on the border were living with almost nothing and yet they were happy, I realized God has blessed me with so much."

"There were so many nationalities represented in Mae Sot, and many people without papers from Burma.  It opened up my understanding of the world and gave me a bigger perspective."

"I come from a hilltribe where not many people know God and there are a lot of needs.  I used to think that when I graduate I want to return to my hilltribe to serve, but now I see the need in other places is so much greater.  I want to go back to the border to serve among the Burmese people after I graduate."

After a yummy seafood dinner with BJD students.
It's hard to put into words how much I will miss these students and all the friends God has given me here in Thailand.  At the same time, I can see many ways that God has prepared both me and others for this transition.

He has filled hearts with the desire to serve and share the amazing message of Christ's sacrifice and salvation with this nation and beyond.  He has raised up leaders and disciples to continue His mission of Kingdom expansion.  I know my Thai friends and all the people who call Thailand home are in the good hands.  They not only have passionate Christ-followers living in their midst, but more importantly, they are in the hands of the Father.

Riding the speed boat to the island.
Thailand, I will miss you.  Thai friends, I will miss you even more.
I'm looking forward to seeing you again soon!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Julia, so privileged to have been able to pray for you during your time in Thailand. The next step, China, with CTEN as well?
    Steve Weemes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will continue to be with CTEN. Thanks for your prayers!

      Delete