Sunday, July 1, 2012

New Fuel


I opened English class with a question to get students sharing.  "Tell me something exciting you did this past week, and if nothing exciting happened, tell me why your week was boring."

"My week was boring because I had to study every day."
"Celebrating my birthday with my friends was exciting."
"Boring.  I had to work and did nothing fun."
"I went to Kyle's house and learned about the Bible."  "It was exciting because it was my first time."

Unknowingly, this last student made my day.  He made every task in my week seem more meaningful.  He reminded me that God is working through all the responsibilities.

The small group and student Bible study Kyle and I are a part of has admittedly fallen under the "chore" category occasionally.  We have both taken our turn at being discouraged about students' inconsistency, other priorities they put first, or silence when we ask questions that dare to touch their heart.  A statement like this is fuel to keep pushing forward. 

The following Sunday, this student came to church for the first time.  As David, our new pastor, introduced himself and his family, he shared part of his testimony.  "I don't remember what the pastor preached about the first time I sat in church.  But I knew God was drawing me to himself."  I pray this is part of this student's testimony someday soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment