Monday, September 5, 2011

Stateside Refreshment

 My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest. (Exodus 33:14)
Even though my time stateside was busy, it was incredibly refreshing.  I enjoyed visiting with many families and friends.  Each visit was an encouragement as I saw more of God's big picture for reaching out to people in every continent and his detailed plan of reaching people in every community.  It began with a skype meeting with missionary friends in Spain and flowed through a dinner with friends who are serving with international students, families who are being intentional in their neighborhoods, and others who are reaching out in their workplaces.

Time with family was most special.

God's perfect timing allowed me to be home to celebrate with over 100 people from church as 13 (if I remember correctly) people publicly declared Christ as their Lord and Savior--aka got baptized.


A family day trip took us to some of Nevada's peaks where we bumped in the jeep up to mines and beautiful viewpoints.

 
I picked up climbing for the month.  A little bit outside, but mostly in the gym.  It was fun to return to a missed hobby.

 I enjoyed cooking and baking in a "normal" kitchen with all the "regular" utensils.   It's amazing how many things (such as a whisk, potato masher, pastry blender, rolling pin, spatula, mixer, etc.) you can learn to live without when they aren't in the drawers.  But when those utensils are available, they sure do help.
The real test though was cooking Thai food.  Had I learned enough from my friends to reproduce it in the States? Above-- sticky rice cooking in a basket I brought back from Thailand.  Left-- I found the type of pumpkin we use in Thailand at an Asian market!
Most everyone who tried my Thai concoctions liked them, so I guess my dorm cooking lessons were a success. My friends will be proud.  :)


Hiking and exploring God's creation with friends was another highlight.  Getting out of the concrete city of Bangkok and into the mountains, walking by (or through) lakes, and visiting Vinice Beach were all memorable moments.

 On the morning of my flight, Kendell and I jumped on friend's a trampoline before heading to the airport.  It was the perfect end to a wonderful trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment