Sunday, August 8, 2010

Som-o

P and I sat, it what appeared to be the middle of a swamp.  We walked across a few rickety bamboo poles to the hut in the middle of the green water.  Am I still in Bangkok?  I wondered.  This was the place she decided we would enjoy our Som-o. 

A som-o is a large citric fruit, bigger than a grapefruit with thick, green bumpy skin.  We talked as P taught me to peel the fruit, cut off the rind, and dig through its thick white inner covering to its juicy sweet/tart fruit in the middle.  I used as many Thai words as I could, and she taught me new ones throughout the evening.  With every word she was so patient while I asked her to repeat it so I could write it in my notebook.  We talked about everything from snow in America to pizza in Thailand.  From husbands (or the lack there of) to family and the church her uncle pastors. 

Eventually conversation turned to the inner workings of our hearts.  P's heart for her country to know Christ inspired me.  She was well aware that most people here have never heard of Jesus Christ.  Her prayers ranged from the king, and the other leaders in the country, to Thais in the small villages, and students in Bangkok.  She fasts and prays for the believers that do exist, and the ones God will be calling to know him soon.

To say it in a few words, I was challenged. 

1 comment:

  1. Julia I am so glad to hear that the Lord is pushing you through Pang. Man it warms my heart to hear how the Lord is moving in Pang's and your hearts.
    Send some love for those guys out for me. I truly miss them with all my heart. Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete