Monday, February 24, 2014

If you smile too much, people might think you're in love.

And while I'm bragging on our Small Group, let me just add that we have some great cooks too!
Usually the easiest way for me to explain is by drawing a picture. But I'm not a very good artist (my English students can attest to that), so I'll use words here instead.

We moved the chairs in the small cafe around so we could see each other while we opened up the Bible together.  This week "we" included three Thais, two Koreans, and myself, an American.  In the background, the worship team practiced, a customer ordered a sandwich, and the housekeeper swept the floor.

We started reading from Matthew chapter 5. 

"And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying:  'Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.  Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.  Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.'"

While this was a familiar passage to some, others had never read it before. As we looked at other verses that helped us understand each sentence more, we talked about the meaning of each group that was "blessed."  Then we took it one step further asking questions like, "How can we live out these characteristics?"

We talked about how we want to be dependent on God, loving and encouraging to our coworkers/classmates, willing to do the behind-the-scenes work with a joyful heart, pursuing righteousness, and showing mercy.  We all acknowledged that we have a long way to go in many of these areas, but encouraged each other that Christ is the one who makes these transformations possible.

One of our small group friends summed it up well when he shared,

"I am usually happy at work. I am grateful God has given me such a good job.  I try to encourage my coworkers with the gospel.  I smile a lot. Sometimes I smile so much that people at work ask if I'm in love. 'YES!' I respond.  'I'm in love with Jesus!'"

Our small group Bible study is awesome.  Praise God for bringing together such a unique group of people with a heart to learn more about Christ and live lives that reflect Him!

Our city (Bangkok) is desperate for Christ's truth, love, and mercy to be poured out into its streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment