Sunday, January 5, 2014

New Year's Psalm

Doi Khun Tan National Park
 Green all around.  
Different shades of it.
Dark, light, yellowish, speckled with color.
Long skinny kinds, flat fuzzy kinds.

As I sat looking over millions of green things covering the hills in the foreground and mountains in the background, I tried to peer into the coming months. 


My eyes took in the words of Psalm 25 and my heart prayed out,

"To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul." 
(verse 1) 
You are the almighty God.  I come to you, crying out, falling on my face before you. 

"O my God, in you I trust;
let me not be put to shame;
let not my enemies exult over me.
Indeed, none who wait for you shall be put to shame;
they shall be ashamed who are wantonly treacherous.
(verse 2-3)
I don't know what this next year holds, but I trust the Lord to lead and guide.  I will wait for Him.


"Make me to know your ways, O Lord;
teach me your paths.  
Lead me in your truth and teach me,
for you are the God of my salvation;
for you I wait all the day long.

(verse 4-5)
My salvation is in you. I walk into this year teachable, ready to learn, ready to follow, ready to wait. 

"Remember your mercy, O Lord, and your steadfast love,
for they have been from of old.
Remember not the sins of my youth or my transgressions;
according to your steadfast love remember me,
for the sake of your goodness, O Lord!" 
(verse 6-7)
My heart finds confidence in your mercy, remembering your promises and holding fast to your unchanging character.   


"Good and upright is the Lord;
therefore he instructs sinners in the way.
He leads the humble in what is right,
and teaches the humble his way." 
(verse 8-9)
Cause me to follow humbly, quickly confessing sin, living with a clean heart because of Christ's sacrifice.  Capture the hearts of those who do not yet know you.

"All the paths of the Lord are steadfast love and faithfulness,
for those who keep his covenant and his testimonies." 
(verse 10)
I praise you for your steadfast love and faithfulness.  I praise you for your everlasting covenant.  Thank you for seeing me and leading me into this next year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment