Sunday, November 3, 2013

Halloween Inspired

Dressing up with friends for a night of Fear Factor and Halloween fun!
 Halloween brought up some interesting conversations this year. 

"Have you ever seen a ghost?"  I asked some friends as we were driving away from the Halloween party. 

I've been in Thailand long enough to know I can skip the question, "Do you believe in ghosts?"  Spirits are so much a part of the culture that no one questions their existence.

Two out of the four Thais in the car said they had seen ghosts.  The other two were grateful they hadn't. 

My next curiosity, "Are you afraid of ghosts?" 

It was split down the middle again.  Half said they are afraid of these spirits.  The others said there was nothing to be scared of, that they would keep to themselves.

When the question came back to me, I knew my opportunity had come.  I responded that I believe in God and know he will always protect me, so I don't need to be afraid. 

Our conversation continued onto differences and similarities in the beliefs of Buddhists and Christians.  Buddhists have 5 rules, quite similar to 5 of the Ten Commandments.  People in both religions acknowledge that we can't keep the rules perfectly. 

From this common ground, I shared the gospel, the amazing fact that Christ came to earth, lived a perfect life, and was sacrificed in place of our shortcomings, our sin.  No merit making, burining incense, or visiting temples necessary.

Throughout dinner and the rest of the evening, the topic kept coming up.  My answer was always the same. 

I believe the statistics that say many people must hear the gospel multiple times before deciding to follow Jesus.  So my goal is to take every opportunity God gives me.  Whether that is someone asking why I came to Thailand or if I'm afraid of ghosts. 

I have no idea how many chances I'll have to talk to these friends.  I don't know how God has already been moving in their lives.  I'm not even sure if they understood everything I said.  But those concerns, I leave with the One who called me here and gave me these relationships.  As I am faithful to do my part, I wholeheartedly believe he is doing the heart work he does best.

What about for you?  Who is God telling you to be more bold in sharing with?  What questions can you answer with God at the forefront?


Before you start making fun of my clothes line costume, I'll have you know, it was voted funniest by all our friends at the Halloween party (and for that, I won a prize!)

No comments:

Post a Comment