Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Challenge of Compassion



"Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, 
clothe yourselves with compassion, 
kindness, humility, gentleness and patience."  
(Colossians 3:12)

With the green of trees, chirping of birds, and fresh air of the park surrounding us, we sat contemplating these characteristics. 
  
Compassion.  
picnic in the park
Kindness.  
Humility.  
Gentleness.  
Patience.

The following verses add bearing with each other, forgiveness, and love "which binds them all together in perfect unity."

I challenged each person who had come for bible study in the park to pick one of these characteristics and ask God increase it in their life.  And that included me.  I also warned everyone that when we ask God to grow us in areas like this, he will often give us challenging opportunities.

a guitar was the perfect addition to our park time
In a city full of homeless people, refugees, orphans, prostitutes, addicts, and beggars.  It's easy to find my heart hardening towards the needs of people.  

But that's not the heart I see when I look at Christ's time on earth.  His compassion was often paired with teaching of the gospel, of the hope we have in the God who had ultimate compassion on us.

com-pas-sion:  noun \kəm-ˈpa-shən\ -- sympathetic consciousness of others' distress together with a desire to alleviate it

What does it look like to live a life flowing with compassion? 

What does compassion even mean in a world full of hurting people and seemingly hopeless circumstances?

As the sky darkened and we walked toward the park exit, I knew the same challenge I gave to everyone sitting in the grass would apply to me too.



relaxing and cloud watching
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment