Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Promises and Homework



"When is God coming?" Asked my new friend as we waited for our weekly worship time to begin.


I gave her a puzzled look, wondering if I had heard her right.


"When is God coming?"  She repeated herself, looking around and seeming to expect someone with the name tag "God" to be showing up soon. 

She knew we were here to worship God, but she obviously wasn't sure what that would look like.  Most Buddhists worship things they can see or at least use shrines or statues as reminders.  There was a stark lack of golden images in the room. 
Simple worship at BJD

"He's already here." I responded.

Now it was her turn to give me the puzzled look.

"God is already with us.  He can hear our worship now."  I reiterated.  From there I was able to explain more.

This reminded me of my Thai homework.  In Thai class this week, I will have to share about God's promises. 

The one that comes to mind first is God's promise to be with us always, in Thailand,  America, the air between the two countries, or anywhere else. 

"I will never leave you nor forsake you." (Heb. 13:5) 
"I am with you always, to the end of the age." (Mat. 28:20)

In an effort to be a good student, learn some new words, and see where God would lead conversations, I decided to ask some of my Thai friends what promises come to mind first.  (Homework is as good as any reason to talk about God, right?) 

One friend said knowing he will go to heaven when he dies.  Without a moments thought, another guy said salvation.  One girl in my small group thought about God's promise through the beauty of a rainbow.  God's unconditional love also came to mind. 

As we reminded each other of these promises, a smile formed on each face.  What an amazing God we have!  The only God who can promise these things and carry them out faithfully, whether he's wearing a name tag or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment