Monday, April 2, 2012

Relationship Triumphs


In a culture so rich in history, I'm surprised to find such little receptiveness to the historical basis for the Bible.  Or maybe I should be, considering much of Thai history goes back a lot farther than 2000 years ago. 

What does it look like to share the gospel to a group of people who aren't interested in the history behind it, aren't concerned about whether the dates line up or not, and don't care to hear the long list of facts supporting the truth of our Savior?  

My friend Fon got me thinking about this question when she asked, "What do you think is the most important part about the gospel to share with our Thai relationships first? ... Just in your opinion."

"Well," I responded hesitantly, "You're really the one I should be asking that question to, since you're Thai."  She motioned for me to continue, so I did.  "Because Thais usually value relationships and feelings more than logical, fact based arguments, I would start with the fact that God wants a relationship with us.  He is not some far away, unreachable, unapproachable God that requires a certain number of candles, sicks of incense, and bottles of red Fanta.  Jesus wants to be our friend, loves us unconditionally, and wants us to love him with our entire heart."

I'm still learning.  A lot depends on the person.  There's no formula, sure-all plan (in any country.)  It never works that way because God loves us all individually and speaks to us differently.  The part that grabs one person's attention and causes him to listen is going to be different from the part that captures another person's heart.  However, at the root of it all, at the foot of the cross, the amazing story of hope is the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment