Sunday, February 5, 2012

Still Learning


 Wi and friends preparing to harvest the tops of these plants 
(not really sure what kind of plant they are.)

"What season is April in?" Wi asked me.
"Spring."
"No." Wi responded, laughing.  "Summer."

I shot a puzzled look up to the top of the wall where our rooms meet with a screen.  We were both getting ready for bed, while she took the opportunity to practice English by asking me "simple" questions. 

"How many seasons are there?" She asked next.
"4" I said, without giving it a second thought.
"No, 3."

I began to feel like a little kid in kindergarten, thinking I have all the right answers and yet getting corrected every time. 

She tried again. "What's the first day of the week?"
"Sunday." I said confidently.
"No. It's Monday."

"What's the last day of the week?"
"Sunday?"  I responded hesitantly.
"Correct!" She shouted encouragingly.

James 4:6 is a good reminder, "But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, 'God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.'"  As comfortable as living in Thailand becomes, I still have a lot to learn.  Humility is one of the most important characteristics of a learner.

No comments:

Post a Comment