Wednesday, October 19, 2011

English Camp

 We spent the day with 35 students, one teacher, and 3 alumni who were helping with the camp. 

 Our focus was conversation.  One activity included each table of students coming up with a question to ask "the foreigner."

This teacher has been teaching at the school for 28 years.  She is now the counselor and helps students think about and apply for university.

 At the beginning of the day, students were very hesitant to talk to me.  Sun said they are scared of foreigners.  I laughed and asked, "Am I sacary looking?"

 By the end of the day, I don't think I was as scary to the students. How could a teacher like this be scary? :)

 Op and Sun in front of another school building.  Op and her husband (below) do campus ministry in Bangkok. 

Supot went to this school as a kid.  He was really grateful to have the opportunity to come back and pour into the students.

 Listening attentively.   Even the teacher (bottom right) was repeating the practice conversations after me. 

 The students were quite attentive while Sun shared about her journey to know Christ.  She also invited any students who might study in Bangkok to come visit us at Baan Jai Diaow.  Wouldn't that be awesome if God used this English camp to bring more students to live at the dorm with us?!

I was so grateful Sun's exams were finished (the day before we left), so she could join me.  It was a great experience for her, challenging, out of her comfort zone, but so good.

 Here's the school.  About 3,000 students between the ages of 12 and 18 are enrolled.

We enjoyed lunch together, but before eating we all had to raise our arms, crossed at chest level and repeat in loud voices after the leader something that included, "I will eat all my food and not waist any." 

No comments:

Post a Comment