Sunday, February 6, 2011

Firsts

Baking at BJD with students from English class.

"I'm so excited! I'm so excited! I've never done this before.  How do I by the ticket?  Where are we getting off?"

You would think Z and I were going to Disneyland with all the anticipation billowing around her.  We both smiled as we bought her first skytrain ticket ever and walked up the stairs to wait for the next train.  This every-day mode of transportation for some, was a compete novelty for my 19 year old friend from northern Thailand.

----

"I don't swim.  Really, I don't swim.  I've tried before...I don't know about this..."

As the smell of chlorine drifted past and sweat dripped down our backs, the cool pool became more and more tempting.  O, a university student we met on campus a few weeks ago, wasn't about to make this decision quickly though.  She obviously wanted to learn to swim but had many hesitations.  "When I was a kid, my dad tried to teach me.  Then a friend tried again when I was older. I just can't do it." After a lot of reassurance and proof that the shallow end of the pool really wasn't very deep, she put on her swimsuit.

-----

"Is it really that easy?  Just mix all this together, pour in a pan, and wait an hour?"  I could do that on my own!"

C, a new student from English class, stuck around after the lesson to help us make brownies for a friend's birthday.  She was astounded by the ease of the recipe and the delicious results afterward.  It was her first time making brownies and her first time tasting them fresh from the oven (the best part!) 


With all of these firsts, comes great opportunity to deepen relationships, build trust, and create memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment